Tuesday, January 12, 2021

Release Day Review: 5 Stars for Roommate by Sarina Bowen



Wanted: One roommate to share a 3-bedroom house, split the rent, and ideally not be the guy I can’t stop thinking about.  

I’m a man with too many secrets, so the last thing I need is a new roommate with a sexy smile and blue eyes that see right through me. Eight years ago, Roderick left town after high school. We’re not friends. I owe him nothing. But back then, I let one of my secrets slip, and he’s the only one who noticed. 

Part of me knows I should run far, far away. But the other part wants him to come upstairs and spend the night. But if I let him in, I could lose everything.

Seeking: a room to rent in town. I’m tidy, have no pets, and I will feed you homemade bread. 

I should probably add: Gay AF, and has no filter. It’s no wonder my new landlord is so wary of me. 

A smarter man would ignore those hot glances from Kieran Shipley. The broody lumberjack wants more from me than another fresh-baked pretzel. But if I push my luck, I’ll end up back on the street.

Too bad I’ve never been smart with my heart… 

Buy Links

Amazon  |  Apple  |  Kobo  | Google 

Nook  |  Audible   

Add to Goodreads

 
What I thought about Roommate 

Kieran Shipley isn't very talkative. You probably wouldn't call him a people person. The owner's of the Busy Bean worry he will scare off the customers, but he's a hard worker and he's dependable. And he has secrets.

Roderick is the new baker at the Busy Bean and he's outgoing and proud of who he is, even though not everyone in his life accepts his sexuality. He loves his job in his hometown, but he doesn't have a place to stay. When Kieran sees him one night, he invites Roderick to rent a room from him. 

Without getting into too many details since I don't want to spill the beans, Roderick and Kieran go from almost-enemies to something much more. It's those conversations and the time they spend together as they fall for each other that really rocked my world in this MM romance. 

I loved both of these characters -- they complemented each other so well and each had their own individual story. It's Kieran's secrets that explain so much about who he is and how he acts. There's reasons for his behavior -- good ones, and Roderick is the perfect person to bring him out of his grumpy shell to enjoy life in a much more meaningful way.

There's plenty of steam if that is what you are looking for, but I really love this book hard for the way Kieran and Roderick's relationship developed. Roderick is sweet and brings with him a sense of humor. Together, they are just lovely, causing this reader to get invested in them and clutch my heart at the right time when it looks like Roddy and Kieran hit a fairly big bump in the road. 

There are other Shipleys involved in this story which always puts a smile on my face. It's like visiting old friends, and I know I'm not the only one hoping Grandpa Shipley gets his HEA someday! He always brings just the right words to the situation.

Roommate is a standalone title. You don't need to have read any of the True North series to enjoy Kieran and Roddy's story. If you are already of fan of the True North series and the Shipley family, you will probably add Kieran and Roderick to your list of favorites.

I loved every word of this one. Once I started, I couldn't put it down and I didn't want it to end. It's terrific.


 
About Sarina

Sarina Bowen is the award-winning author of more than thirty contemporary novels. She has hit the USA Today bestseller's list sixteen times and counting. Formerly a derivatives trader on Wall Street, Sarina holds a BA in economics from Yale University.

Sarina is a New Englander whose Vermont ancestors cut timber and farmed the north country since the 1760s. Sarina is grateful for the invention of indoor plumbing and wi-fi during the intervening 250 years. She lives with her family on a few wooded acres in New Hampshire.

Sarina's books are published in a dozen languages on four continents.

No comments:

Review: Hott Take (Hott Springs Eternal, #2) by Serena Bell

    The hard part isn’t acting like we’re falling for each other. It’s pretending we’re not. Shane: My grandfather’s will has me betwee...