Wednesday, May 27, 2020

Review:East Coast Girls by Kerry Kletter


Childhood friends Hannah, Maya, Blue and Renee share a bond that feels more like family. Growing up, they had difficult home lives, and the summers they spent together in Montauk were the happiest memories they ever made. Then, the summer after graduation, one terrible night changed everything.

Twelve years have passed since that fateful incident, and their sisterhood has drifted apart, each woman haunted by her own lost innocence. But just as they reunite in Montauk for one last summer, hoping to find happiness once more, tragedy strikes again. This time it’ll test them like never before, forcing them to confront decisions they’ve each had to live with and old secrets that refuse to stay buried.




What I thought about East Coast Girls

I'm not going to go into details of what happened that terrible night referenced in the summary, because that will just spoil the whole thing for you. Four friends come back together for a vacation at their favorite place hoping to rekindle their once-deep friendships, and they find something totally unexpected.

I found the beginning of this to be a bit slow, and it took a few pages for things to move along at a good pace.  At some point I became invested in learning what happened that fateful night years ago.  And Henry ... I wanted so much to know more about Henry after the small glimpses seen of him that night. I loved the sensitivity the author used to handle this important part of the story, even though it made my heart hurt.  

Each of the four friends are nicely crafted to evoke a different response. Maya mostly annoyed me and I found it tough to relate to Renee's part of the story, mostly because I thought the story focused more around Hannah and Blue. They had some real scars from that night that needed healing and were the central characters in the drama. I think Hannah got her healing, not so sure about Blue.  Blue's situation just made me sad. I'm willing to guess that many readers can relate to one or more of these characters in some way. 

I did like how this story made me think about how a few wrong words and missteps was all it took for their lives to spin out of control, and how you cannot go back, you can only go forward.  So in that respect, this is a book that might make you think about friendships, longevity, judgement and forgiveness.  Some heavy topics and I did like this aspect of East Coast Girls very much. 

An ARC was provided. This is my honest review.

 

About Kerry
Kerry Kletter holds a degree in literature and is the critically-acclaimed author of the young adult novel The First Time She Drowned. She also has an extensive background in theater, having appeared in film, television, and onstage. She lives in Los Angeles and adores her friends, her partner David, dogs, neuroscience, funny people, Montauk, surfing, and French fries. East Coast Girls is her first adult novel.

Follow her on Twitter @kkletter and Instagram @kkletter.

No comments:

Review: Hott Take (Hott Springs Eternal, #2) by Serena Bell

    The hard part isn’t acting like we’re falling for each other. It’s pretending we’re not. Shane: My grandfather’s will has me betwee...