Tuesday, February 28, 2023

Release Day Review: 5 Stars for The New Guy (Hockey Guys #1) by Sarina Bowen

 

RELEASE DATE: February 28th, 2023

A new male / male hockey romance from 24-time USA Today bestseller Sarina Bowen!

My name is Hudson Newgate, but my teammates call me New Guy.

That was my nickname in Chicago, too. And Vancouver. That’s what happens when you keep getting traded. Brooklyn is my last chance, especially after my poor performance last season.

But I can make this work. The new guy knows to keep his head down and shoot the puck. The new guy puts the game first.

What he doesn’t do is hook up with the other new guy—a hot athletic trainer who lives in my building. Gavin needs this job with my team. He’s a single dad with responsibilities.

We can’t be a couple. My arrogant agent–who’s also my father–will lose his mind if I’m dating a dude. And my team needs me to score goals, not whip up a media circus.

Too bad Gavin and I are terrible at resisting each other…

 Amazon | Apple Books | Kobo | Nook

Audio

Add to Goodreads



 

 What I thought about The New Guy

Hudson Newgate is "the new guy". recently traded to Brooklyn. He's nursing a hip injury when he meets Gavin one night. There's a definite spark between them them. Gavin is the new guy too -- he's the new trainer for the team, having just moved to NYC from NH with his daughter. But when they both figure out that they will be working together, Hudson doesn't just pull back, he really shuts that spark down... for a while.

There's a slow-burn workplace romance happening here and as more aspects of both men are revealed, it clearly becomes a battle between head and heart as both have good reasons for their behavior. I loved getting to know these characters and really fell hard for them. I thought Gavin had me at first, but it was really Hudson who had my heart. I could feel his loneliness and need for Gavin and their developing relationship. It was sweet and hot and just what new love should be.

There are some good secondary characters in Jordyn and Reggie and I absolutely loved the cameos from other characters in the series. And the ending is a heart-ripper and a terrific emotional ride.

I blew my reading schedule this weekend for this book and it was worth every single minute. Loved this story, the characters, the writing. A very tender and satisfying romance from Sarina Bowen.  


 



No comments:

Review: Hott Take (Hott Springs Eternal, #2) by Serena Bell

    The hard part isn’t acting like we’re falling for each other. It’s pretending we’re not. Shane: My grandfather’s will has me betwee...