Monday, July 12, 2021

Reviews: Sideways by Lisa Hughey & Heartwood by J.H. Croix

 
Sideways by Lisa Hughey

Release Date: July 1, 2021
Cover Design: Elle Maxwell Designs

Series Page → https://hearteyespress.com/wotn#/speakeasy-taproom/   

About the Book:

She’s a political princess and media darling... 

There’s no such thing as bad publicity. Yeah, right. Tell that to the PR firm that handles Tracy’s very prominent political family. Pushed by scandal from Boston to the boondocks, now she’s on the other side of the serving tray, dishing up beer and burgers, hoping no one recognizes her. But there’s something very familiar--and maddeningly tempting--about the new caterer at Speakeasy. 

He’s a cranky recluse...

Colton was the star of the celebrity chef circuit until he wasn’t anymore. Now he lives in a remote country cabin and spends his time alone, far from the spotlight and liking it that way. Until the gorgeous new waitress at Speakeasy starts poking at his resolve and suddenly all he wants is to see her let down her hair. And spread it all over his pillow. She’s got secrets he knows he won’t like, but he can’t stay away from her.

She lives in the spotlight, and he hates attention. When her public life collides with his private one, can their love write a fairy-tale ending after all? 

Amazon | Apple | Kobo | Nook | Google 

Add to Goodreads 

What I thought about Sideways

Tracy Thayer needs to disappear while her prominent political family deals with the fall out created by outing the fact she is the owner of the high-cost dating platform called Fairy Tale Beginnings. She leaves town and ends up in Colebury.

Colton Vega came from the city too -- a former celebrity chef in search of a new life and way of living. He's grumpy. Seriously grumpy. He could have a grump-off with Griff Shipley and win hands down. And even though he's a bit brutal when he first meets Tracy at Speakeasy, he can't get her out of his head.

I really loved this story. There's so much transformation going on with these characters in one way or another. They were just so good for each other in so many ways. I was really engaged with this story, especially since it was difficult to see how they could close the gap between what they both wanted and the other factors keeping them apart.

There's steamy romance and tender moments here that I loved, and some drama when truths are revealed. Loved the (literally) sweet ending too. Even though I found the circumstances that brought Tracy to Colebury a bit overblown, I really enjoyed this story and will be looking for more from this first-time-for-me author.
 


 

 Heartwood by J.H.Croix

Release Date: June 29, 2021
Series Page → https://hearteyespress.com/wotn#/speakeasy-taproom/
Cover Design: Elle Maxwell Designs

About the Book:

She needs a fresh start. He wants a second chance…

My new job as a chef in a small town was supposed to be my ticket to peace and quiet. I didn’t expect to run into the former hockey star who gave me the hottest nights of my life. And, oops, he’s sort-of my new boss. So much for keeping my past where it belongs.

Ty still thinks I’m the fun party girl. He has no idea how much things have changed. One thing that hasn’t changed: the spark between us. It’s hotter than the blowtorch I use on my crème brûlée. 

I’m already keeping secrets, so what’s one more? Our tryst is forbidden, it’s fun, and it gets complicated as fast as you can say “check, please.” I didn’t expect to have a future with Ty. And I definitely didn’t expect to have a baby with him.

Some falls are harder than others. But it depends on who’s there to catch you...

Amazon | Apple | Kobo | Nook | Google 

Audio

Add to Goodreads 

 What I thought about Heartwood

Belle is starting over and her new job as chef at Speakeasy is just what she needs in her new life in Colebury. When she finds that the manager of Speakeasy is an old acquaintance and sometimes casual lover, she's happy to reconnect. But Belle isn't the same person she was back then, and neither is Ty, although their physical connection and chemistry is still in place.

What follows is a very sweet falling-in-love story between two people who have had reconnected after some hard knocks and find that the sexual chemistry they enjoyed is still intact. I really liked Ty and Belle together and I especially enjoyed Ty finding himself falling hard for Belle in a major way.

Heartwood is a low conflict sort of romance where the road to the HEA has a few small bumps to bring a little drama into the story. it's a quick, satisfying romance and love story that deals with mental health in a very sensitive manner. I did like this part of the story very much. Belle's situation is one where I could definitely relate and I appreciated the way it was handled in the story.

Overall, a cute and satisfying second chance romance.






No comments:

Review: Hott Take (Hott Springs Eternal, #2) by Serena Bell

    The hard part isn’t acting like we’re falling for each other. It’s pretending we’re not. Shane: My grandfather’s will has me betwee...